More than 300 Island homes benefited from a States initiative to improve energy efficiency in 2013.
The Energy Efficiency Service runs a programme called the Home Energy Scheme. It helps people on reduced incomes become more energy efficient by funding home improvements at no cost to the applicant.
In 2013, the Home Energy Service achieved the following:
- Energy efficiency improvements carried out on 326 properties.
- 8548m2 of loft insulation installed – the equivalent of covering 32 tennis courts.
- Installation of cavity wall insulation in 67 homes. The average household saves around £210 per year by having cavity wall insulation installed, with payback usually within five years.
- Installation of 552m of draught proofing – more than four times the height of the London Eye.
- Replacement of 61 boilers by high efficiency A-rated condensing boilers.
The 100% grant provided by the Department of the Environment results in all works being completed at no cost to the applicant.
The Minister for Planning and Environment, Deputy Rob Duhamel, said “The Energy Efficiency Programme is part of our Energy Plan to reduce consumption and lower Jersey’s carbon footprint. The success of the programme in 2013 shows what a significant difference small but concrete actions can make to energy use on a domestic level. It’s a really successful programme and I’m sure it will continue to go from strength to strength this year, and continue the journey towards a future of sustainable energy use.”
You may be eligible for the Home Energy Scheme if you are:
- Receiving Income Support, OR
- Registered on the Westfield 65+ Health Plan, OR
- Receiving the Food Costs Bonus OR
- Over 65 with less than £50,000 in savings if married or co-habiting or £30,000 savings if living alone.
Both owner-occupiers and tenants can apply, but States Housing Department properties are not eligible as there is already a refurbishment programme underway for these properties.
Anyone who wants information on becoming more energy efficient, or who believes they may be eligible for assistance through the Home Energy Scheme is encouraged to contact the Energy Efficiency Service on 441611 or email@example.com.